New Residential Facility
- New 50-unit permanent supportive housing facility for Veterans.
- The building incorporated sustainable materials and was designed to achieve NYSERDA Energy Star Certifications. The Owner is pursuing LEED for Homes Gold Certification.
- Site work included green strategies such as porous asphalt in parking spaces, permeable pavers for a patio area, and native trees and shrubs.
- Green strategies for storm water management take advantage of the site topography with dry swales and a visually appealing terraced bio-retention area alongside the building, consisting of various native plants, stones and boulders.
- Half of the building's roof water and all nearby pavement areas are captured into swale and bio-retention areas to promote infiltration.
- The remaining half of the roof surface captures storm water to a 12,000 gallon rainwater harvesting tank for graywater reuse inside the building.
- A Storm Water Management and Erosion and Sediment Control Plan was required and subsequently approved by the City of Syracuse.
- Walks provide access to the building from two separate parking areas that take advantage of existing topographical condition, and to public bus transportation in front of the building.
- Site amenities include lighted flagpole, private patio area with outdoor cooking grills, bicycle racks, benches and trash receptacles.
- A Green Improvement Fund Application was prepared and ultimately received funding through the Onondaga County Save the Rain Program.