Site work at the elementary school and middle school included:
- Sustainable site design features (storm water, porous pavement, landscaping) were incorporated to assist in achieving LEED Certification.
- Preservation of mature trees and the design of a rain garden.
- Improvements to vehicular and pedestrian circulation, providing a safe walkable environment for children.
- Drainage improvements, significant storm water management system, working around the existing utilities.
- Renovation of a baseball field and other multipurpose athletic fields.
- The design took into account that the site was found to be in an archaeologically sensitive area, resulting in a Phase 1B Cultural Resource Reconnaissance Survey.
- Multi-phased project, completed in 2012.
Site Improvements at Multiple Sites
- Storm water management strategies requiring NYSDEC Permit approvals included porous pavement, subsurface storage/infiltration chambers, and a subsurface structural cell system in tree planted areas to promote growth and provide storage/infiltration.
- Circulation and overall drainage improvements at two elementary/middle school campuses, and site improvements at four other school campuses.
- Site design included separate bus/student drop-off areas, traffic calming control measures, pedestrian friendly access routes, retaining walls for utility/service improvements, and landscaping.
- Project was completed in 2014.